Commercial Driving License (CDL) has become an essential asset that employers often want when hiring heavy equipment operators and diesel mechanics. Employers in the carpentry industry may also seek this skill for their employees.
The Outreach Department offers a basic CDL course designed to provide individuals with essential knowledge and the practical skills necessary to prepare them for the MT CDL written exam and skills test. The 6 week program is both classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel driving time.
This is a noncredit* course and includes:
- 12 hours of class instruction to prepare for written exam and pre-trip inspection
- 15 -30 hours scheduled driving time with instructor (see prerequisites below)
- ONE opportunity to use College’s truck for driving exam
Individuals must complete the following prerequisites prior to driving instruction:
- Proof of a valid MT driver’s license
- CDL Learner Permit (individual’s expense): information is provided at the Missoula Department of Motor Vehicles office located at 2681 Palmer St.
- Department of Transportation physical (individual’s expense):The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration adopted new regulations requiring state driver licensing agencies to add medical certification status and the information on your medical examiner’s certificate (previously referred to as DOT card) to your Commercial Driver’s License Information System (CDLIS) record. For more information visit MT DMV website: https://doj.mt.gov/driving/commercial-driver-licensing/medical-certification/
- Drug Screen: included in course fee and scheduled after course registration
*does not qualify for College financial aid